Monster Truck with The Sheepdogs

I never have high expectations for opening acts and I believe this helps with those that become new favourites.
Before I saw Monster Truck I knew nothing about them, all I knew was that they were the opening act from seeing their tshirts at the merch booth, which were actually rather scary. One had a slogan which involved some swearing on it and another had a design which looked very "metal-esque". Also when the band walked on stage with their rough beards, long hair and slight metal style, I was frightened, as I do not really enjoy most metal music, especially since the more heavier stuff it rather scary.
It turned out though that instead of being metal music they were just hard rock. Also it turns out I loved their music. Their sound was great and their songs, especially Seven Seas Blues (now one of my favourites) are quite good. They also put on a great live show. Their guitarist could not stand still and was constantly jumping and running around the stage. He also swore quite a bit, almost as much as De La Soul did with Gorillaz. Monster Truck seemed like a genuine band and had humour in their show. After the guitarist had swore about ten times, the lead singer/bassist interjected that his mother was there! The only fault I can seem to find was that keyboardist's sound was lost in the mix. The last song they played, Sworded Beest, George Pettit from Alexisonfire is featured and he came out to sing his metal/screaming part. Lastly the lead singer likes to stand with one foot on a tool box and at the end of their set, he casually carried it off.
They were a superb opening act and did a great job! I will most definitely see them again!
Monster Truck performing Seven Seas Blues at the Horseshoe Tavern in Toronto.
There weren't many videos of Monster Truck in Hamilton. Sorry!

2 comments:

Sam said...

These guys sound cool

Anonymous said...

Monster Truck rule. great blog.