The Beach Boys - 50th Anniversary Tour

The Beach Boys have been one of my favourite bands for a long time but I never thought I would ever see them live. Even though they still technically tour, the only original member of the band still with them is Mike Love. For their 50th anniversary tour Al Jardine, Bruce Johnston, David Marks and Brian Wilson would all perform together! When I found out about this, I knew I had to attend, especially since Brian Wilson would be performing with them. It was nothing short of a dream come true.
The concert was much better than I thought it would be considering the age of the original surviving Beach Boys. They played a very long set of around fifty songs, including all of their greatest hits. Due to the length of the performance though there was an intermission in the middle for the performers. All the members of the band both original and supporting were great. The surviving Beach Boys were in good shape and their skills had not waned much. I was surprised by the quality of Brian Wilson's voice since he does not have a very strong voice, though he sang quite a few songs and sounded good on all of them. Their backing band's drummer was John Cowsill, from the original, real life Partridge Family, and he was very talented. For the songs Forever and God Only Knows, which Dennis and Carl Wilson both sang lead on, they used the original vocal track from the recording and the live band provided backing vocals and instrumentation. This was an interesting idea but didn't decrease the quality of the show. The Beach Boys also recorded a new studio album for the occasion called That's Why God Made The Radio. It is good but nothing exceptional, which was to be expected since they would not be able to measure up to the likes of past albums such as my favourite, Pet Sounds. There were many fans both old and new at the show which made it all the better.
It was a great show and definitely one of my favourites, as it was a personal dream of mine to see the original Beach Boys line-up. I would absolutely recommend to most definitely attend their show if possible, since it will probably be a once in a life-time experience.
The Beach Boys performing two of my all time favourite songs, Sloop John B and Wouldn't It Be Nice

No comments: